The Deepwater Horizon

By Makayla Wright, Writer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yASbM8M2vg

Makayla Wright, Writer

We all remember the events on April 20, 2010, the day that the Deepwater Horizon caught fire and spilled a total of 61.1 million dollars of oil into the Gulf Of Mexico. The Deepwater Horizon did the accident justice and highly respected the families affected by the Deepwater Horizon blowing. The Deepwater Horizon hit movies theaters all over the nation on September 16, 2016 with a thrill and suspense as if you were actually living the events the incident with them.

When the rig blew, it was in the finally phases of drilling the exploratory well at Macondo. Seawater had erupted from the marine riser and onto the rig. This then caused the mix of drilling mud, methane gas, and water to explode. To follow was a fiery explosion and cause the Deepwater Horizon to catch fire.  A total of 11 people were killed and 17 injured. The ones killed were: Jason Anderson, Aaron Dale Burkeen, Donald “Duck” Clark, Stephen Ray Curtis, Gordon Jones, Roy Watt Kemp, Karl Kleppinger Jr., Keith Bair Manuel, Dewey Revette, Shane Roshto and Adam Weise.

The main character Mike Williams (Mark Wahlberg) is just a normal family man who has to go to work on the Deepwater Horizon. When the crew and Mr. Jimmy (Kurt Russell) worked aboard the rig was a manager, once there they discovering the crew that had just left forgot to do a pressure test. The plot wasn’t exactly what had happened in real life because of the Hollywood drama effect. The movie had the audience gasping and crying. Director, Peter Berg, did a very good job on putting together this film. Editors , Colby Parker and Gabriel Fleming, did a stunning job on animation, sound effects and making sure it looked real.

The movie won four awards as of right now: one Teen Choice Award, one National Board of Review, two Visual Effects Society Awards and one pending award the AACTA Award for Best Visual Effects or Animation, according to imbe.com

The movie all together is a must see and an amazing film. It was well developed and showed tremendous amount of respect for the families of the ones lost. Deepwater Horizon is definitely a must see and appeals to everyone in some way.