TCHS Students Host Food for America

By Hayley Watson, Editor

Hayley Watson, Editor

On September 26, Taylor County High School students hosted their annual Food for America event at the Homeplace. TCHS students took part in educating third grade students from Taylor County Intermediate School, Campbellsville Elementary School, Kentucky Christian Academy, and other schools about agriculture and the nutritional value of food.

Members from multiple clubs and organizations came together for the event. The FFA members educated the children about where their food comes from. They taught them about vegetables, animals, and techniques used in agriculture. Students from the Human-Child Development classes served as group leaders of the children and led them to each station. The Culinary students prepared lunch for the children and high school students, along with providing refreshments for teachers. They also taught about the nutritional value of food and the importance of a healthy diet. DECA members educated the children about how marketing affects their food choices.

Third grade students were chosen for this event since it corresponds to their science curriculum. They participated in hands on activities ranging from petting farm animals to acting out skits about photosynthesis.

Agriculture teacher and FFA sponsor Lindsay Wayne said, “The purpose for Food for America is the number one issue facing agriculture today which is [lack of] agriculture literacy, which is people knowing where their food comes from. If we’re going to do something about agricultural literacy in our country, we want to start with them as young as we can.”

“Food for America is important because kids need to know where their food is coming from,” stated senior FFA member Megan Underwood. “Food doesn’t just come from the grocery store. There is a farmer, and there is a process.”