The Fascinating Case of the Cricket in the Wall

By Landon Simmons, Assistant Editor

Landon Simmons, Assistant Editor

A strange phenomenon has been occurring at TCHS. Travel along the hallway to the lunchroom, and like many other students, you may notice something out of place-the chirping of a cricket in the wall.

This chirping lasted for about a week before going quiet, but questions still remain. How did a cricket get in there? What’s it doing in there? Is it even still alive? (Probably not, but it’s nice to think it made some remarkable escape.)

Despite the cricket’s recent absence, it has continued to spark the interest of students across the school. There has been no shortage of theories regarding this cricket. When asked about her opinion on the cricket in the wall, one student stated, “I think it’s a mother cricket looking for its baby cricket which is stuck in a separate wall.”

Another student commented, in regards to how the cricket had survived so long, “My theory is, a construction worker, when they were building the school, might’ve left his lunch when he was building the wall in the wall-so, that’s what it’s eating.”

Another student, apparently not feeling so happy about the cricket, had this to say: “I think it’s annoying. I’m glad it’s dead and now you can’t make a story about it, because you have no primary sources.” (It should be noted that this story was written partially to spite this student.)

Despite the multitude of theories regarding the cricket in the wall, almost none of the students questioned seemed to know much about it. Fortunately, and surprisingly, somehow a student was found with a solid theory as to how that cricket got there.

“My friend…has Mrs. Dillery for…biology, and he said he dropped a cricket and he thinks it went down the vent,” the informative student elaborated. “And Mrs. Dillery’s room is right above where that cricket’s sound is, so.”

With this new information, it would seem that the cricket’s origin has been cleared up. However, the origin is only part of a story. There is still so much left unknown about this mystery cricket. What did it do in that wall? Did it escape? If so, where is it now? These are questions that will almost certainly never be answered, and likely spark new theories as to the cricket’s fate. Despite all of the murky details surrounding this enigma, one thing is for certain – that cricket left its mark on TCHS.