Show Choir: Backstage

By Makayla Wright, Writer

Makayla Wright, Writer

The room darkens, the colorful stage lights crawl their way to the center stage, music starts to hum in the air. For the audience it’s just a few songs and dances, but for the people putting on the show it’s said to be the best week of the school year.

“It’s like sewing a piece of cloth together. It’s what put my life together and it’s what has held it together.” Landon Rodenberg stated. Landon is a freshman in the Taylor County High School Show Choir but has been in choir since fifth grade. The reason behind him auditioning is his parents pushed him towards the musical educational and fun opportunity that show choir brings.

When the time came for show choir auditions he wasn’t worried. “It was towards the end of the year and when you first actually got to auditions, it was later in the day. It felt like a million people but turned out to be about 85, according to McCoy. They gave us numbers and called us into the room in groups of 3 or 4 and we sang the songs and danced.” The audition is a two day process. The first day consists of learning the song and dance, and the second day is performing the song and dance learned the day before. The judges are brought in from the outside. Director Jericho McCoy makes sure they are experts in the field of music and have a musical background.

Preparation for show week starts in January. The choir is taught about 20 songs and dances as a choir, not including the solos and band songs. As the two months of hard work pass and with show week is just in sight, they are cleaning up and perfecting the dances to ensure they provide the best show possible.

“The stage brings a lot of nerves but also excitement. It’s hard to stand still, you’re always excited, your heart is racing, and the blood is rushing.” Jenna Smith, senior in the Show Choir, stated. As rumor goes among the choir kids, show week is everything that they have anticipated. With each night the excitement never dies. “I look forward to show week the most. Everyone says it is the most fun you will ever have.”

When working with such a large and talented group of students you make a lot of friends and experience a variety of things in which  not everyone can say they were a participant. When Landon was asked to give advice about the subject he said: “Even if you don’t do show choir, do something with the music program at least once in your high school career. It’s definitely going to be worth it. It’s a very unique and fun experience.”

Music means different things to a variety of people. To some it seems impossible to live without, others it’s a hobby, some say it is a universal language used to reach out and share a message. But for McCoy it’s more than that.

“Music is everything to me. It has impacted me in many ways as well. It has given me a wonderful career, it lead me to meet my wife. We met in our college music programs. Music has always been a great part of my life. It started out as a fun hobby and I started to realize if I worked at it I could turn it into more than just a hobby. And I hope to continue to grow as a musician, even now as a director.” McCoy feels that with the choir and music program at Taylor County he can help reach out to people in the community in a variety of ways, with not only pop music like the show choir provides, but also traditional choir songs that concert choir brings.

Music, whether you listen to it once a day or all day, is something we all have in common. Jenna Smith summarized it by saying, “It’s something that no matter what race, gender, ethnicity or religion you are, music is something that is just a part of all of us, even if it’s in the smallest of ways.”