From Books to Flags

By Jesslynne Mann, Writer

Jesslynne Mann, Writer

Teachers have many responsibilities. Many of them have children and families of their own. We see them in the classroom grading papers, but have you ever wondered what goes on outside of the classroom?

Sydney Fleurdelys is an English teacher here at Taylor County High School. However, she also doubles as our TCHS colorguard instructor. So you’d best believe that when she isn’t grading last night’s homework, she is outside spinning her flag or writing new dances to teach our guard members.

The preceding information may not seem shocking to anyone that doesn’t know the jam-packed schedule of a marching band student. Members have practice on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, competitions on most Saturdays, and 2-3 solid weeks of all day practices that are held in June. Although this seems busy, Mrs. Fleurdelys’s schedule is a lot busier considering that she must write new choreography outside of practice. When asked how she balances school and guard, she simply stated, “I have designated times for each one. During the day, I focus on school. Evenings and Saturday mornings are dedicated to guard.”.

Being a teacher alone can be stressful. Every teacher has a different method. But being a teacher and being a guard instructor are very different. However, Mrs. Fleurdelys stated, “I may not be a teacher without colorguard. And I most definitely would not be teaching at TCHS if it weren’t for guard due to the fact that our band director (Stephen Bishop) got me this teaching position. Being a teacher has helped me as an instructor by helping me become more laid back and flexible.”. Mrs. Fluerdelys also said that she has different teaching methods for the classroom and the colorguard. She finds that she is more lenient in the classroom than on the band field.

Many people believe that disrespect is just “kids being kids”. However, dealing with disrespect as a teacher can be very frustrating. When asked about dealing with disrespect on the field versus in the classroom, Mrs. Fluerdelys responded with “Disrespect on the field can result in physical punishment (pushups, running, jumping jacks, etc.) while disrespect in the classroom is dealt with verbally in private.”

Handling after-school sports can be stressful, especially ones that have very tight schedules. That is why time management is important. Mrs. Fleurdelys shared this advice with marching band students, “Don’t allow yourself to become overwhelmed. Make your own schedule. I find that students that say they have the hardest time balancing school, work, and band, are also the ones that hang out with their friends and play video games often. They need to make their own schedules and stick with it.”

Being in band or other sports can teach us life skills such as prioritization. Mrs. Fleurdelys said, “Being a band member can teach a lot of important life skills such as punctuality, respect, discipline, organization, and hard work.” She can be seen as an inspiration to all students and teachers alike. Mrs. Fleurdelys is living, breathing proof that a little bit of hard work can go a long way.