A Familiar Face

By Hayley Watson, Editor

Hayley Watson, Editor

At the beginning of every August, changes are abundant, from new classes and schedules to new people. This school year has seen the arrival of many new faces, student and teacher alike. This year though, you’ve probably seen a familiar face in a new position. Some of you may know her as an English teacher, but be prepared to know her as your high school librarian.

Andrea Lawler graduated from Somerset High School and went on to University of the Cumberlands for her undergraduate in English. Although she wanted nothing to do with teaching, Lawler eventually discovered a love for it and went to Campbellsville University for a teaching degree. She also received a masters in English from Morehead and a degree for librarian science from University of Kentucky.Before teaching at TCHS, she has also worked at the Taylor County Public Library.  

So, why did she choose to be our librarian? “I’ve always been a reader,” she explained. “I love the library, and being a librarian is combining the things that I love.” After being notified she received the position, Lawler met with Tana Penn, our previous librarian, to ask questions and for words of wisdom. “She was very gracious.”

The shift from the classroom to the library has posed a new set of challenges. Being a librarian requires a new set of tasks, like paperwork for purchasing books, sorting books, and helping students with any issue they may have. Lawler has had to learn all the different necessary processes for her job. There is never a dull moment in the library, and there is always something to do.

The yearbook staff has also experienced some changes from Lawler’s new position. Instead of meeting in one classroom, the yearbook staff take the class in different periods. Since this allows for a flexible schedule, more people can join the staff.

Lawler has stated she has plenty of plans for the library. “I am a dreamer,” she said. One of her most evident changes is lunch trivia, where people meet in the library, eat lunch, and answer trivia for prizes. She hopes to launch a library website to publicize new book shipments, lunch trivia dates, and other library news. “I really want to see the library to grow.”

Although this time of year is busy for everyone, with schoolwork, work schedules, family, and friends filling up our social calendar, try to take the time to stop by our school library. If you do, you’ll find a familiar face willing to help you in anyway she can.