Jessica Haliday the Leader on the Field

By Ayreal Allen, Writer

Ayreal Allen, Writer

The crowd roars with excitement as as your band performs in the stadium of your dreams. All those months of practice have finally payed off. This is what Jessica Haliday felt last year as she stood on the field of Papa John’s Stadium, her last year standing with the color guard.

Jessica has been a part of Taylor County Marching Band since her eighth grade year in 2013. She practiced all summer to be ready for what she planned to do: color guard. Being gifted with a beautiful singing voice, amazing piano skills, and dedication, she was the best candidate to be our marching band’s field commander. When asked about her marching band experience she stated that it had been one of the best experiences of her life.

“It taught me discipline and respect for others and gave me a sense of confidence in myself and with people skills and social anxieties that I had then and still have today,” she said.

But this year, Jessica is moving up in the musical food chain of marchers. She went from color guard performer to leader of the band, the drum major. She said it wasn’t to hard switching from color guard to drum major, due to good muscle memory.

But when I asked which would she choose her immediate response was this, “Color guard for sure. I love being drum major but there’s nothing like performing something as beautiful and intricate as color guard.”

Being a music “sponge,” as she would call it, helped her remember the work as well as where she is in the music while following measures. Last year the band did something they haven’t done in seven years-make it to state finals in Papa John’s Stadium. Jessica’s role in last year’s show was very intricate and slightly dark due to the theme, and she and a few of last year’s seniors were the main attraction of the color guard part. Jessica also was the one who created the choreography for the color guard last year since she was section leader.

“To go with some of my favorite people and actually be a section leader going to state finals was probably one of the most amazing things I’ve ever done,” she said.

From the marching band starting practice at the end of July to September the band has such a great chance of making state finals once again and playing in that giant stadium all bands dream to perform in. This year’s show is called Hidden Figures and features musical numbers from the popular Netflix original show Stranger Things. Jessica says that she is happy this is the show she leaves and ends with, and with such and experienced player as Jessica being their drum major the band can and will go far.