The student news site of Taylor County High School

Less Division, More Unity

By Landon Simmons, Writer

Landon Simmons, Writer

Two months into 2017, and things are just plain ugly. Protests in the streets, heated arguments splitting families, friends and loved ones – this is a nation divided. The rift between the left and the right has been ever expanding since the start of the 2016 election, and it’s continuing to do so at an alarming rate.

We were handed two candidates that not many of us particularly liked, yet we found ourselves choosing what we believed to be the “lesser evil” and backing that candidate until our dying breath, if it would come to that. Both candidates were villainized through extensive media coverage, whether the case was deleted e-mails or the sexual abuse of women, and when the election results revealed that Donald J. Trump would be our next president, half of the country was heartbroken.

The other half rejoiced, telling Clinton-backers to quit their whining and accept the results. Though if Clinton had won the election, the Trump supporters would be the ones being chastised over complaining about their nominee’s loss.

No matter who would win the election, the divide in our nation could only increase. It is indeed very sad that that is the case, but it is our depressing reality. This was seen clearly at the protests the day after Trump’s inauguration. I fully support the right to protest, but the fact that there even was a protest so large, and the fact that it turned violent, says a lot about the state of our country.

The division is seen in our schools. Though there are many more Trump supporters here, there is prominent population of Clinton supporters as well. The conflict between them is just as real as it is anywhere else, and it’s heartbreaking.

There is only one thing that can be done for our nation at this point – we all have to move on. That goes for both sides. There is truth to the motto “United we stand, divided we fall,” and if things proceed to go the way they currently are, we may soon experience the latter of those two possibilities.

It is my hope and prayer that the deep wounds that have been cut into this nation’s populace will mend and heal over time, and that our current president will help with this process.

No matter who we backed in the election, we are all American citizens. We all only want what is best for this nation, in the end.

It is our responsibility to come together, not in hate, but in love, and unify once more. Our nation has never been perfect, nor will it ever be. But the sooner we can put aside our differences and unite once again, the closer to perfect we will be.