The student news site of Taylor County High School

True Love Lasts a Lifetime

By Andrea Caulk, Writer

Andrea Caulk, Writer

There are many things in this world that are considered ugly. Things such as war, hate, fear, death, crime and so much more. Yet, in every bad thing there is a good thing that is born within it. You may have to look a little closer sometimes to see it, but there is always something there. There is one topic we can all relate to and that is the topic of breaking up with someone and having your heart broken by someone you love. How could this possibly be a good thing? Well there are many ways that break ups can actually be good for you.

Many break ups are due to the relationship being somewhat toxic, whether it is verbal, emotional, or even sexual abuse. Many people face these situations every single day for they don’t want to or even can’t get away from it. According to loveisrespect.org, “In the United States alone one in three adolescences is a victim of abuse from a partner.” This is an incredibly high percentage of adolescences. It teaches teenagers that they should expect these kind of actions in a relationship, when in reality they deserve to be treated better. Relationships should not be something that you dread, but something that will bring you happiness.

These type of relationships in nature are called parasitism. One partner benefits, but the other suffers. The one who benefits feeds off of the satisfaction of being able to control their partners and the one being fed off of lets these events to occur because they are either in love or even afraid. For many it isn’t as easy as deciding to just get up and  leave.

In the book The Perks of Being a Wallflower it simply states,  “We accept the love we think we deserve.” No one deserves to be abused and anyway shape or form. No one deserves to be treated like garbage by the people who are suppose to love and support them.

Toxic relationships are beneficial to exterminate. They lead to nothing, but pain and suffering. For the victim leaving it will result in an increase of self esteem and eliminates some mental damage that he or she incurred during the relationship.

Other than the perks of ending a toxic relationship, some relationships can help you live and learn from your mistakes. For instance what you get wrong with one relationship you can improve on with the next. Like most things, it is a learning process. Learning what it takes to make a relationship work. Having to accommodate the other and to also make compromises. It’s like being on a team of two; if you don’t work together you will crash and burn.

Even though break ups can be a messy process, breaking up with someone or even getting broken up with isn’t all bad. It can lead to further relationships that can last for the rest of your life. Finding the one you can spend the rest of your life with makes your past relationships just that, a part of the past. Life doesn’t spare you from the pain of having your heart broken, but with the right amount of time and patience you might be able to find the one that can hold your heart forever.