The student news site of Taylor County High School

New York City: My Dream City

By Hayley Watson, Editor

November 1, 2016

There are places that don’t seem real. No matter how many pictures you see or how many stories you hear, the place contains a sense of surrealism. New York City was that for me. The setting of many a fictional story, The Big Apple was starting to seem to be a work of fiction itself. New York City was my Narnia I promised to find one day, not knowing when or how. When my family told me our fall break would be spent in the city of my dreams, I felt as if I finally found the wardrobe.

After thirteen hours in a Chevy Cruze and a few gas stations later, we reached our destination: a hotel in New Jersey located a short bus ride from the heart of the city. After a trip to a local Wal-mart that on a normal day would put Black Friday in Campbellsville to shame, we prepared for the next day’s trek.  

To anyone planning a trip to NYC who isn’t going with a tour group, (coincidently, the Taylor County Middle School students went on a tour to New York the same time as we did) I highly recommend purchasing the New York Pass. For a flat rate per ticket, you are granted access to over 80 attractions for your choice of duration. The price might seem expensive, but the more attractions you see, the more you benefit from the pass.

Experiencing New York comes in many forms. By water, there was the hour-and-a-half boat tour, where I took in the sight of the waterfront on the rolling waves of the Hudson River. Being close enough to study the Roman-like facial features of the Statue of Liberty was unbelievable. Walking on Ellis Island, the gateway for immigrants in the US in the late 19th century to mid-20th century, was stepping back in time to the hardships of those before us.

From the sky, there was standing on the the observation decks of the Empire State Building and the Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Center. Standing on the 102 floor observation deck of the Empire and looking down on the skyscrapers that loomed above you moments before is a jolting – yet spectacular – sensation. The Rockefeller Center – while only 70 floors – had only a glass wall separating people from the streets below and was enough to make knees buckle.

From the streets, the city came alive. Music poured from the street corners and vendors sat up their stands and waited for tourists to pass. Despite the amount of television and movies I watched, I wasn’t prepared for how small the skyscrapers would make me feel or how the amount of people would make me question how so many can be in one city. Walking from destination to destination was exhausting at the end of the day, but thankfully, our pass allowed us two days on a hop-on hop-off double decker bus. Definitely a perk and an interesting perspective of the city.

Out of all of the attractions, watching a Broadway show was an experience I’ll never forget. Although a recent theatre fan, seeing Wicked’s beautiful scenery and costumes and witnessing the cast’s wonderful voices and acting was a dream come true. “The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz” had me truly mesmerized and made my love of theatre grow.

My time in NYC has been eye opening, full of everything I ever wanted and more. While I did more things when I was there I didn’t mention, there is so much more I hope to discover some day. Even though I crossed back through the wardrobe, I’ll never forget what happened in the place that was such a mystery and wonder to me.