The student news site of Taylor County High School

Top 5 Places in Florida to Visit this Holiday Season

By Andie Woodcox, Writer

November 1, 2016

As fall break has just passed and the holidays are fast approaching, many people are faced with the challenge of finding good places to visit for vacation. Families are struggling to come up with a fun filled vacation while not breaking the bank, and kids just want to have a good time relaxing away from school (don’t we all!). Now Florida is a popular destination site for many families nationwide, but you may have only heard of places like Disney World or Epcot, or even Pensacola Beach. Although these places are wonderful, you may not have seen some other hot places to visit. Here’s a top five list of the best places to visit in Florida, including restaurants and attraction centers.
1.)Fudpuckers
You read that right folks, Fudpuckers is a restaurant located in Destin, Florida. Why is this restaurant mentioned? Maybe it has to do with the fact that they are home to a lively population of alligators. If that doesn’t already pique your interest, the funky and colorful scheme of the place just might! The food is amazing and priced fairly well for a seafood joint (cheaper than the Crab Trap, that’s for sure). Along with the great food, Fudpuckers includes an arcade, alligator history exhibit and a rare albino alligator named Pearl! It also offers you the chance to feed and hold alligators that they have on site. Don’t worry though, they won’t bite your hand off.
2.)Navarre Beach
What makes this beach so special, you ask? Navarre beach gives tourists or even locals the opportunity to hunt for seashells galore, something you can’t usually do at resort beaches. During my family experience there, we’ve caught bucket fulls of shells of all shapes, sizes, and colors. You can even get a glimpse of some marine life too, if you’re lucky! You couldn’t step one foot into the water without finding a shell. The best part is if you don’t even like seashell hunting, you can sit back and relax on the white sand beach and just soak up some good ol’ vitamin D. It’s a win-win for everyone!
3.)Floyd’s
This restaurant is sure to make your mouth water with its all-you-can eat fish and popcorn shrimp for just $9.99 from 4-6 p.m. daily. Floyd’s sits right on the beach, and has indoor and outdoor seating to accommodate everyone. They also have a bar for adults, and my mom says that their “bushwhackers are pretty good” (I guess I’ll just have to take her word for it). This cool beachy restaurant not only has lounge spaces near the beach, but also includes live entertainment from local artists. And once you’re done filling up on that delicious shrimp, you can stroll right down to the ocean and enjoy the beautiful sunset.
4.)Fort Walton Beach
This beach offers gorgeous views of the ocean right next to a pier that overlooks the sea. You can enjoy a nice beach outing with the whole family and relax as you listen to the sounds of nature. Not to mention the water feels amazing after laying out and catching a tan! Kids can build sandcastles as parents sit back and watch, and you can even paddle board/boogie board while you’re there. This beach has beautiful white sand beaches and has little shelter buildings for people to hold events. Imagine having a wedding right there on the beach!

5.)The Tanger Outlet Mall
That’s right, after you’ve had your fill of the beach and food, you can mosey on down to the Tanger Outlet Mall in Destin, Florida. It has a variety of shops ranging from Coach all the way to Banana Republic. Dotted throughout the mall are adorable little cafes that sell fudge, gelato and sweets. And with all the shops they do have, everyone can find somewhere to go and have fun. Personally, I recommend the Disney Shop, it just has the cutest t-shirts and toys. But do make sure to keep an eye on the kiddos, it can be very easy for them to run off with all the excitement!

So as you can see, Florida has more to offer than just some amusement park. It can open you up and show you a whole new world of relaxation. Enjoy your vacations everyone!