The student news site of Taylor County High School

TC Times

Nerd Club

Meghan Sanford, Writer

With the recent move into the new high school, students have been working on settling into their new routine of classes and extracurricular activities. While the list of clubs at TCHS already exceeds most other schools in the area, there is a surprising lack of science-based activities that students can participate in outside of their AP and/or honors classes, this was actually a concern among higher level students who want to apply their science knowledge in authentic ways. To remedy this, several students have been working on starting a Science Club intended to expand into all branches of science that are available to them.

With Mrs. Dillery sponsoring the club, the student-led organization has expressed an interest in the landscaping of the high school, which should be quite a large project that will require many resources and require a fair chunk of change in order to begin. According to the Social Media Director, or “Squash” as the position is called, Weston Young stated, “I’m so glad to finally have something to do with all of my free time. Between 4 AP classes and tennis conditioning I just feel like I don’t get to dedicate enough of my extra time to science. This club is going to be great.” True that, Squash.

Everyone in the club has expressed interest in a more complex and hands-on science experience than many classes can offer, and if that sounds like something you would enjoy then stop by after school in Mrs. Dillery’s room, or talk to Meghan Sanford, Rebekah Cowherd, Kristen DeLaGarza, or Bethany Lee. The Science Club will meet on February 1st, and then every other Wednesday after that.