The student news site of Taylor County High School

TC Times

When Love is Not in the Air

By Mariah Cox, Writer

Mariah Cox, Writer

Once students reach high school age, it seems most of them have long been a part of the dating world. According to Pew Research Center, in reality only 35% of teens have been in a relationship. For some, relationships appear to be a struggle, but maybe the single life is something to seek after. I believe there is someone for everyone, but it’s also OK to be alone.

Nowadays, if someone doesn’t always have a relationship, people assume they either struggle socially or are unattractive. This is not true. I have seen people who are both ugly and antisocial get dates. The fact is, anyone can get a date. Some just prefer not to.

There are many advantages to staying single in high school. One of the best ones is not having to deal with clinginess. You can Netflix and chill without having to worry about having anyone crowding you. Not to mention, you also get to watch what you want and have all the snacks to yourself.

You also won’t have to worry about responding to texts and calls. If you aren’t in a relationship there is no pressure to text first or respond quickly. You also don’t have to worry about whether or not one of you will say something to end the relationship. Without a relationship, you can just relax alone or text friends, who aren’t as quick to leave, about whatever you wish.

When you are single, you also don’t have to worry about living up to someone else’s expectations. There is no worrying about planning dates, unless you plan one for yourself. If you want to spend your days dressed like a slob and eating pizza, that’s OK too.

Being single means that you are not expected to buy gifts. You don’t have to remember another person’s birthday or an anniversary. Over the course of a year this can save you a lot of money and effort. According to Daily Mail, the average person spends around $20,200 on dating over the course of five years. That’s around $4,040 a year!

Most importantly, remaining single in high school can give you time to focus on yourself. So many times it seems like high school students will get caught up in relationships. They can become so focused on their significant other that they become behind in things like school and other relationships.

Part of focusing on yourself can mean following your own passions. Passions such as traveling or passions that differ from your partner would be hard if you were in a relationship. If you remain single, you don’t have to worry about what your significant other wants to do and their goals. Depending on your goals in life, this may help get you where you want to go.

Relationships during high school aren’t necessarily a bad thing. There are certainly benefits, such as always having someone to hang out with, but it is also important to consider not having one. Maybe the single life is something that would benefit you the most during high school. To quote Mandy Hale, “‘Single’ is an opportunity to live life on your own terms and not apologize.”

Resources:
Bryant, Miranda. “The REAL cost of true love! The average person spends five years – and a whopping $20,200 – dating before deciding to settle down and get married .” Daily Mail. Daily Mail, 14 Mar. 2016. Web. 26 Jan. 2017.
Hale, Mandy. The single woman: life, love, and a dash of sass. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2013. Print.
Lenhart, Amanda, Monica Anderson, and Aaron Smith. “Teens, Technology and Romantic Relationships.” Pew Research Center: Internet, Science & Tech. N.p., 01 Oct. 2015. Web. 26 Jan. 2017.