The student news site of Taylor County High School

TC Times

Kicking It Up In KYA

By Ivy Neal

Ivy Neal, writer

For the first time ever Coach P proudly led his group of  38 delegates into the premises of the Kentucky Youth Assembly at the Crowne Plaza in Louisville. Here the TC delegates in both the “Senate” and the “House” could proudly debate all of the bills provided by fellow high school students.

For those uninformed on the basis of Y-club and the true purpose of KYA; it is simply a government club with one of its conventions being based around the Kentucky congress delegation meetings to conduct new bills and laws for the state of Kentucky. At KYA high school students can choose to become a bill author and create a bill which is currently lacking in this state in the hopes that their passion, statics and fervor can convince their fellow delegates to rank their bill highly and become voted into “law”. Of course there are many other positions available, such as a parliamentarian to read off the bills and conduct the meetings, lobbyists whose position includes representing a corruption to try to sway delegates to either vote for or against the specific bill. Finally it can be a tough choice between doorkeepers (solely responsible for sealing the chambers/closing the doors when voting) or simply a delegate whose sole job is to listen to all the bills and then vote upon them.

The delegates of TC were well represented when it came to bill authors as both Lexi Raikes and Weston Young  presented a bill on the basis of decreasing the gas emissions in the state of Kentucky by giving a small monetary incentive to all of those Kentuckians driving a hybrid car. Belinda Cheng and Ivy Neal also created a bill which was targeted to eliminate the rate of infanticide occurring in Kentucky due to parental drug abuse. In this bill it simply required the hospitals of Kentucky to report all failed drug tests of the mother and infant to the social services to alert social services of this suspected drug abuse and potential unsafe home environments.  Both of TC bill’s were successfully passed into law at the convention. “I was very proud of all the bills authors and the high caliber of their bills. It made me very happy to witness my students get up in front of these committees and delegates to passionately present their ideas to better the commonwealth of Kentucky.”- Coach P

For the bills ranked in first and second place in the committees they were able to present their bills in the Capitol at Frankfort. It was a very surreal experience as all of the delegates were placed in big, yellow school buses and rode the forty five minutes to the marble architecture of the Capital. “I really enjoyed being able to present our bill in the actual Kentucky House of Representatives and Senate chambers. It helped me better understand how the government systems work at even a deeper level than the Schoolhouse Rock song- “How a Bill Becomes a Law”, stated Belinda Cheng.

“KYA helps you become a better public speaker, a more informed political supporter or follower and ultimately a better American citizen,” said Weston Young. So for the struggling, social studies students, to even the most informed and prestigious, Tim Peterson AP class takers…. JOIN THE Y!